Saturday, November 1, 2008

Tiger in the Snow

La Tigre e la Neve.

Beautiful Roberto Benigni film. Italian l'amore meets the war in Iraq. An Italian woman is near death in Baghdad. Her lover, the Italian poet, devotes himself to keeping her alive.

"If she dies, they can close this whole show of a world, they can cart it off, unscrew the stars, roll up the sky and put it on a truck, they can turn off this sunlight I love so much. You know why I love it so much? Because I love her when the sun shines on her. They can take everything away, these carpets, columns, houses, sand, wind, frogs, ripe watermelons, hail, seven in the evening, May, June, July, basil, bees, the sea, courgettes...Courgettes, Al-Giumeili!"

The bombs, gunshots, minefield, and the chronic panic of Baghdad have failed the faith of many. Yet theses tragedies fail to defeat the poet's love. If anything, he seems more ane more convicted of his love for her after each potentially lethal experience.

Yes it sounds cheesy (I can't help it if I'm so sappy).
BUT--A must-see. Even for you men.

No comments: