So the letter saying that I've been approved for a visa FINALLY came after weeks of waiting. I went to the French embassy to get my passport stamped with the visa- no problem until then. The consul took my passport, and after a little while, came back with my brand new French visa. He continued to explain some things to me... blah blah blah... and then I looked down at my visa. The last time I looked in the mirror, I did not look like the picture on the visa. I stared at it for about fifteen seconds, quite confused.
Then I looked at the name on the visa-- Kristine Kim. Uhhh WHAT?!?!?!
Me: "Um, that's not me."
Consul: "Excuse me?"
Me: "That's not me on the visa. It's the wrong person. We have the same last name- but not me"
The consul grabbed the passport and flipped to the front of the passport to make sure that it was my passport. It was MY passport with Kristine Kim's French visa in it.
Consul: "OMG, I hope they didn't send out the letter to the wrong person. I'll be right back."
The consul left me there-- dumbfounded and freaked out. What if they never approved my visa? What if he tells me I need to wait longer? Then I REALLY can't go to France- I've already delayed my flight once, I can't pay more to delay it again! I was praying to stay collected and after 15 minutes of excruciating mental torture, the consul finally came back with my passport.
Consul: "Ok, I found your file. We issued you the correct visa on the next page and cancelled the wrong visa. I'm so sorry about that."
Hallelujah!
Imagine if I hadn't checked my passport. I would have gone to France and the customs agent would have handed me over to Interpol for fraud or something. And then I would be tagged for life as a con-artist. Goodbye PhD, goodbye good life, goodbye finding the man of my dreams!
Now I'm legitimate. Legal. Good to go. Now I have a chance of a good life. But I really think France hates me.

No comments:
Post a Comment