Sunday, September 27, 2009

My first month in Fontainebleau

I know I've been awful at keeping my blog up to date... so here is another attempt to revive it.

It's already been a little over a month since I've arrived in France. I feel as if I've been here longer but at the same time, I feel that time has rushed by. I've been busy trying to adjust to a new life, new country, new school, and trying to break out of my sheltered Provo mentality. I always took pride in the fact that I wasn't absorbed in the Happy Valley euphoric bubble... but alas, now that I've left, I've realized how much of a sheltered life I had led the past nine years. The culture shock I've experienced has come from something deeper than the mere differences between the US and France- it's been more like the differences between Provo and the World. I suppose it's is a good thing to struggle through this big transition- especially if I'm planning on saving the world. I should probably understand the world before setting out to save it. ;)

To be frank, the transition has been a rough ride. For the first few weeks, I felt overwhelmed every minute. I hadn't prepared myself emotionally and mentally for this big change in my life. For some reason, I thought my life in France would be like this: going on a relaxing bike ride on a beautiful pink city cruiser bike through a park, a warm crispy baguette in my bike basket, with my hair and dress flowing in the warm breeze, birds chirping around my head, squirrels and bunnies following me, with Astrud Gilberto's singing voice playing in the background (very Korean drama-ish. Or think Snow White without the seven dwarves). Simply put, a fairy tale. My life definitely hasn't been full of squirrels and bunnies, pink bicycles, or prince charmings (I have had quite a few baguettes though- yum yum yum). The reality: insane classes, spending all day in my cubicle (and mind, I hate cubicles), stress, increasing mushroom top effect over my jeans, stress-induced acne (ugh ugh ugh ugh), looking sloppy everyday (How could I possibly fit my entire wardrobe in two 50 lbs suitcases?!?!?! no clothes... sniff sniff), and not being able to explore Paris (I don't even know what the real Eiffel Tower looks life- my only frame of reference is the fake one in Vegas).

On a lighter note. The nice things:
  • The professors and students are delightful
  • French bread and pastries. Divine (and fattening). Today I had a whole baguette in one sitting.... oh the guilty pleasures and the hedonistic life I lead
  • I'm only an hour away from Paris
  • I've been able to get by with my basic French-- I'm actually quite proud of myself!
  • INSEAD is an international school on steroids (those of you who have been in international schools growing up know exactly what I'm talking about)-- this is probably THE most diverse school I've been in (even compared to my school in Dhaka)
  • Fonty is a charming little town, and the chateau and forest are beautiful
  • My entire class is going to Singapore for two months in Jan/Feb next year!!!!
  • This term ends in three weeks YESSSSSSSSS
  • I'm going to Korea in three weeks!!!! WOOHOO
All changes are difficult. Feeling overwhelmed is only natural, I realize. It's hard, but I definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel. My goal: just keep my head above the water each day. Be grateful to have had a great past, but most importantly, be grateful for now.

Right now I'm grateful for Skype and FB for keeping my my only social life lively :) The founders may not have saved the entire world but they've certainly saved mine. They've definitely fulfilled their purpose in life.

If you want to see pictures, go visit:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2289594&id=17816985&l=f28431f795

Ah. Three more weeks!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

I love u Ayoung! Seriously.... ur so much fun and SUPER HOT! =D you inspire me!