Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I met Bobby Knight

The day before I met Warren Buffett, I met an elderly man who in retrospect was quite a contrast from the great Oracle.

My friends, Jes & Brig, and I had a layover in the Denver airport on our way to Omaha. They watched my stuff as I went to use the restrooms. When I returned, they told me, "hey, A-Young, they were paging you. Go talk to the front desk." I ran around trying to figure out what was going on and found out that I had left my credit card at a restaurant we had eaten earlier. I finally picked it up, and came back all flustered. I explained to my friends what had happened and settled down. I noticed a grandpa facing us in a seat in front of Jes. He seemed to look at me with some disdain before exclaiming, "what, did you want the entire airport to know you were here or something?"
Me: "Um... pardon me?"
Grandpa: "Did you have them page you on purpose so that everyone would know you are here?"

I was slightly confused because I couldn't tell if the grandpa was joking or if my friends had planned some kind of a joke. I looked at my friends and they pretended as if nothing was going on. I looked at the grandpa and he seemed dead serious. His voice oozed of irritation but I couldn't figure out why. I just figured, oh he's kind of crazy.

Me:"Um, no, they just found something I lost."
Grandpa: "Well, I used to travel with basketball players and they would page each other over and over again so everyone would know they were there."
Me: "Oh I see."

Again, I noticed the grandpa looking at me in a strange manner. His eyes squinted as he pointed at the Harvard sweatshirt I was wearing.
Grandpa: "How did you get a Harvard shirt in China?"
At first, I thought I heard him wrong so I said, "Excuse me?"
Grandpa: "How did you get that Harvard shirt in China?"
Me: "uh... I got this in Boston..."
I was soooo confused and didn't even know how to react. I probably had the most bewildered look on my face. I just brushed it off thinking that he's just a mentally ill, confused grandpa. Then I pretended to read a book.

Later, as we were about to board, I asked Jes, "um hun, did I hear the grandpa wrong, or did he REALLY say, how did you get that Harvard shirt in China?" She told me that I had not heard wrong. What she told me next made me almost fall over backwards.
Jes: "You did not hear what he said while you were in the bathroom. When they were paging you, "Miss Ay Young Kim, Miss Ay Young Kim etc etc," the grandpa said, "oh, someone's getting deported. It's a long flight back to Hong Kong!"

I could not believe my ears. Then Brig leaned over and said, "hey, you know who that was, right?" to which we shook our head. Then he said, "That was Bobby Knight. The coach who got kicked out of Indiana. He threw chairs at people and choked his players. You're lucky he didn't throw a chair at you."

Um. WOW. I must say, I was rather upset when I found out that this dude wasn't even mentally ill. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I found out who he was. For those of you who don't know who Bobby Knight is (like me), here's the wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Knight

So there was my run-in with a far-from-lovely sports celebrity the day before meeting Warren Buffett.

1 comment:

saraH said...

Are you frickin serious? that guy is so racist and rude! he's probably so angry and bitter at the world for what happened to him but it sounds like he deserved it ha! :D NO ONE messes with my missayoung!!! if i was there with you, I would've said something to him. but that was b4 i knew he choked someone... ;)